Protein adsorption and desorption applications can be divided into two categories: those in which it is desired to minimize adsorption, and those in which it is desired to maximize it. The grating coupler sensor, by virtue of the unprecedented precision and time resolution with which it is possible to measure adsorption and desorption kinetics, has become an indispensable tool for studies aimed at elucidating the fundamental mechanisms underlying these processes at the molecular level.
- Blättler TM, Pasche S, M Textor M, Griesser HJ, “High Salt Stability and Protein Resistance of Poly(L-lysine)-g-poly(ethylene glycol) Copolymers Covalently Immobilized via Aldehyde Plasma Polymer Interlayers on Inorganic and Polymeric Substrates” Langmuir, 22 (13), 5760 5769, 2006.
- Mhamdi L, Picart C, Lagneau C, Othmane A, Grosgogeat B, Jeffrezic-Renault N, Ponsonnet L, “Study of the polyelectrolyte multilayer thin films’ properties and correlation with the behavior of the human gingival fibroblast” Materials Science & Engineering C-Biomimetic and supramolecular systems, 26 (2-3): 273-281 Sp. Iss. SI Mar 2006
- Olenych SG, MD Moussallem, DS Salloum, JB Schlenoff, TCS Keller, “Fibronectin and cell attachment to cell and protein resistant polyelectrolyte surfaces”, Biomacromolecules, 6 (6): 3252-3258, Nov-Dec 2005
- Lee S, Vörös J, “An Aqueous-Based Surface Modification of Poly(dimethylsiloxane) (PDMS) with Poly(ethylene glycol) (PEG) to Prevent Biofouling in Microfluid System Applications” Langmuir, 21 (25): 11957-11962, Dec 2005.
- Pasche S, Vörös J, Griesser HJ, Spencer ND, Textor M, “Effects of ionic strength and surface charge on protein adsorption at PEGylated surfaces”, J. Phys. Chem. B, 109 (37), 17545 17552, 2005, Web Release Date: August 24, 2005
- Lee S, Muller M, Rezwan K, Spencer ND, “Porcine gastric mucin (PGM) at the water/poly(dimethylsiloxane) (PDMA) interface: Influence of pH and ionic strength on its conformation, adsorption and aqueous lubrication properties“, Langmuir, 21 (18): 8344-8353, Aug 30 2005
- Muller MT, Yan XP, Lee SW, Perry SS, Spencer ND, “Lubrication properties of a brushlike copolymer as a function of the amount of solvent absorbed within the brush”, Macromolecules, 38 (13): 5706-5713, Jun 28 2005
- Muller MT, Yan XP, Lee SW, Perry SS, Spencer ND, “Preferential salvation and its effect on the lubrication properties of a surface-bound, brushlike copolymer”, Macromolecules, 38 (9): 3861-3866, May 3 2005
- Ball V, Vöegel JC, Schaaf P, ” Effect of thiocyanate counterion condensation on poly(allylamine hydrochloride) chains on the buildup and permeability of polystyrenesulfonate/polyallylamine polyelectrolyte multilayers” Langmuir, 21 (9): 4129-4137 Apr 26 2005R.
- Heuberger R, Sukhorukov G, Voros J, Textor M, Mohwald H, “Biofunctional polyelectrolyte multilayers and microcapsules: control of non-specific and biospecific protein adsorption” Advanced Functional Materials, 15 (3): 357-366, Mar 2005
- Dalsin JL, Lin L, Tosatti S, Vörös J, Textor M, Messersmith Ph B, “Protein resistance of titanium oxide surfaces modified by biologically inspired mPEG-DOPA”, Langmuir, 21, 640646, Jan 18 2005
- Lee S, Iten R, Muller M, Spencer ND, “Influence of molecular architecture on the adsorption of poly(ethylene oxide)-poly(propylene oxide)-poly(ethylene oxide) on PDMS surfaces and implications for aqueous lubrication” Macromolecules, 37(22): 8349-8356 Nov2 2004
- Harris LG, Tosatti S, Wieland M, Textor M, Richards RG, “Staphylococcus aureus adhesion to titanium oxide surfaces coated with non-functionalized and peptide-functionalized poly( lysine)- grafted-poly(ethylene glycol) copolymers”, Biomaterials, 25 (18): 4135-4148, August 2004
- Pasche S, De Paul SM, Voros J, Spencer ND, Textor M, “Poly(L-lysine)-graft-poly(ethylene glycol) assembled monolayers on niobium oxide surface: A quantitative study of the influence of polymer interfacial architecture on resistance to protein adsorption by ToF-SIMS and in situ OWLS”, Langmuir, 19(22): 9216-9225, October 2003
- Lee S, Muller M, Ratoi-Salagean M, Voros J, Pasche S, De Paul SM, Spikes HA, Textor M, Spencer ND “Boundary lubrication of oxide surface by Poly(L-lysine)-g-poly(ethylene glycol) (PLL.g-PEG) in aqueous media” Tribology Letters, 15(3): 231-239, Oct 2003
- Bearinger JP, Vörös J, Hubbel JA, Textor M, ” Electrochemical Optical Waveguide Lightmode Spectroscopy (EC-OWLS): A pilot study using evanescent-field optical sensing under voltage control to monitor polycationic polymer adsorption onto indium tin oxide (ITO)-coated waveguide chips”, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 82 (4), May 2003
- VandeVondele S, Voros J, Hubbel JA, “RGD-grafted poly-L-lysine-graft-(polyethylenglycol) copolymers block non.specific protein adsorption while promoting cell adhesion” Biotechnol Bioeng. 82(7), 784-90, 30 June 2003
- Huang NP, Voros J, De Paul SM, Textor M, Spencer ND “Biotin-derivatized poly(L-lysine)-gpoly( ethylene glycol): A novel polymeric interface for bioaffinity sensing” Langmuir, 18 (1): 220-230 January 2002
- Lavalle P, DeVries AL, Cheng CCC, Scheuring S, Ramsden J, “Direct observation of postadsorption aggregation of antifreeze glycoproteins on silicates.” Langmuir 16:5785. 2000
- Ball V, Lustig A, Ramsden JJ, “Lag phases in the adsorption of lysozyme to Si(Ti)O2 surfaces in the presence of sodium thiocynate, Part I., Phenomenology”, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 1, 3667-3671, 1999
- Guemouri L, Ogier J, Ramsden JJ, “Optical properties of protein monolayers during assembly.” , Journal of Chemical Physics 109:3265-3268. 1998
- Ball V, Ramsden JJ, ” Influence of D(-) and L(+) tartaric acid on lysozyme adsorption onto a Si(Ti)O2 surface” Naturwissenschaften 85, 87-89, 1998
- Van Tassel PR, Guemouri L, Ramsden JJ, Tarjus G, Viot P, Talbot J, “A particle-level model of irreversible protein adsorption with a postadsorption transition”, J. Colloid Interface Sci. 207, 317-323, 1998
- Constable Edwin C, Harverson P, Ramsden JJ , “Adsorption of ruthenadendrimers to silica-titania surfaces studied by optical waveguide lightmode spectroscopy (OWLS).” , Chem. Commun., 1683, 1997
- Kurrat R, Prenosil JE, Ramsden JJ, “Kinetics of human and bovine serum albumin adsorption at silica-titania surfaces”, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 185, 18, 1997