The main application of the grating coupler sensor in this field is drug determination. The waveguide-supported lipid bilayer is closer to the real cell membrane than other model systems. It can be used for rapid, accurate drug screening, as well as for more fundamental studies of the blood-brain barrier for example.
- Boulmedais F, Tang CS, Keller B, Vörös J, “Controlled Electrodissolution of Polyelectrolyte Multilayers:A Platform Technology Towards the Surface-Initiated Delivery of Drugs” Advanced functional materials, 16 (1): 63-70, 2006
- Hug T S, “Biophysical Methods for Monitoring cell-Substrate Interactions in Drug Discovery” ASSAY and Drug Development Technologies, 1 (3): 2003
- Cooper M A, “OPTICAL BIOSENSORS IN DRUG DISCOVERY” Nature reviews/Drug Discovery, 515-528, July 2002
- Ramsden J J, “Partition coefficients of drugs in bilayer lipid membranes”, Experientia 49, 688 – 692, 1993
- Ramsden J J, “Membran-beschichtete Wellenleiter zur Be-stimmung von Drogen”, Bioforum 15, 298 -299 ,1992