The heart of the Quartz Crystal Microbalance (QCM) instrument is a thin AT-cut quartz crystal with an electrode on each side. In conventional QCM the electrodes are typically made of gold which is an ideal electrode material except when applying for electrochemical measurements or for optical investigations using inverse optical microscopes.
In the QCM-ITO sensor, transparent ITO electrodes are used providing a more stable electrochemical measurement and can be used for optical investigation as well.
Advantages of using ITO coated QCM compared to the conventional QCM
- Transparent: for optical characterization of the surface with inverse optical microscopes (e.g. studying cell-surface attachments)
- Electrochemical properties: More stable performance under electrical field
Advantages of using parallel label-free biosensor technologies: OWLS, EC-OWLS, QCM, EQCM, SPR, optical microscope
- Same ITO surface with similar surface chemistry in all methods
- OWLS & Quartz Crystal Microbalance (QCM) parallel measurements provide complementary information about the “dry” and/or “wet” mass of the absorbed layer
- Using multiple biosensor technologies reveal more details about the surface interactions
- ITO-QCM Crystals for OWLS QCM 3000
- ITO-QCM Crystals for SRS™
- ITO-QCM Crystals (14 mm diameter)
- ITO-QCM Crystals are available for other devices as well. Please inquire below.